Prospective Student Intern
- Review the Student Intern Requirements to determine if you are eligible to be sponsored for a J-1 student intern visa.
- Establish contact with a UO academic department that most closely matches your field of study and reach an agreement with a faculty member to supervise you for a research project or internship. You must have a sponsoring UO faculty member and academic department willing to host your stay.
- Contact Becky Megerssa, International Student & Scholar Services in the Office of International Affairs, for an initial eligibility review of a potential applicant and to request an application packet.
- UO Department conducts an interview with the applicant to determine if his/her English language proficiency is adequate. Or, the applicant may submit an English test score for review.
- UO Department compiles required documents from the applicant and faculty member and submits the completed application packet to Becky via email or campus mail. This includes a draft (no signatures) of the Training/Internship Placement Plan (TIPP).
- The TIPP is reviewed by Becky to ensure compliance with J-1 regulations. Edits may be requested.
- Once application is complete and the TIPP is finalized, Becky issues Form DS-2019 (visa document) and Form DS-7002 (TIPP) in SEVIS and delivers a Visa Documents Packet to the UO Department.
- UO Faculty Advisor signs DS-7002 (TIPP).
- UO Department sends Visa Documents Packet to applicant.
- Applicant signs DS-2019 and DS-7002 and schedules a J-1 visa appointment at the nearest US embassy or consulate.