J-1 students must be approved and granted work authorization by International Student & Scholar Services for any student employment at the UO.
On-campus employment includes:
- Employment pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship (i.e. Graduate Employee)
- Employment on the premises of the school you are authorized to attend (Eugene or Portland campuses).
- You can work no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.
- You can work more than 20 hours per week during school breaks and your annual vacation term.
- The employment can be authorized up to 12 months at a time.
- On-campus employment authorization is canceled if you graduate, complete your program, fail to maintain J-1 status, or transfer to another school.
How to Apply for Work Authorization:
- Download and complete the J-1 Student Employment Authorization form and bring to the Office of International Affairs for authorization.
- The original copy of the J-1 Student Employment Authorization can be used to apply for a social security number, if you have never applied for one before. For more information on applying for a Social Security Number, go to (SSN link)
- A copy of the employment authorization must be given to your UO employer for HR/Payroll purposes