Re-Entry to the U.S.

In order to return to the US following a short trip outside of the US, you must be prepared to present the following documents:

  • An unexpired passport valid least six months into the future
  • An unexpired F-1 entry visa*
  • An unexpired UO Form I-20 with a travel signature no more than one year old on the date of your return
  • Recommended:
    • Evidence of full-time enrollment such as a copy of your transcript or class registration
    • copy of your I-901 SEVIS fee payment
    • financial documents such as bank statements or scholarship letters

*Canadian citizens are not required to have a visa to enter the US, but must present all of the other documents listed above to request F-1 student status when entering the US.

To request a travel signature, bring your I-20 to the Division of Global Engagement, Oregon Hall 3rd floor, Mondays - Fridays between 9am and 4pm. 

Travel to and from Mexico, Canada & Adjacent US Islands

F-1 students may travel to Canada, Mexico, and Adjacent US Islands and re-enter the US on an expired F-1 visa if the trip does not exceed 30 days and the purpose of the trip is not to apply for a new F-1 visa at one of the US consulates located in these countries. This ability to travel on an expired visa is referred to as an automatic revalidation. In order to benefit from automatic visa revalidation, you must carry the documents indicated above as well as your I-94 admission record. Speak to an international student advisor to learn more about automatic visa revalidation.

A visitor's visa may be required to enter Mexico, Canada & Adjacent Islands, depending on your country of citizenship. If you are planning a trip to Canada or Mexico, you should contact a consulate from one of those countries to determine whether a visa is required prior to your trip. Please plan ahead as it may take some time to obtain a visitor visa to one of these countries.

Renewing your F-1 Visa

If your F-1 visa has expired or will expire in the near future, you don't need to renew your visa unless you are planning to travel home during a break or leave of absence. While you are in the US, your expired visa does not affect your status. However, if you leave the U.S. you will need to renew your F-1 visa. Please review the web site of the US consulate in your home country or country of destination for information about how to renew your F-1 visa. In most cases, it is recommended that renew your visa in your home country.​

Last-Minute Travel Issues for F-1 Students

If you are a continuing F-1 student traveling outside the US, and notice that your travel documents are missing, lost, or outdated, please refer these emergency travel instructions for further guidance about how to return to the US.

Travel within the US

While traveling around the US, you are strongly recommended to carry original identity documents (passport, I-20, and I-94 admission record), even if you do not have to go through immigration inspection for domestic travel. 

Immigration Resources