Travel/Returning Students

Returning to the US following Travel Abroad

In order to return to the UO following a short trip outside of the US, you must be prepared to present the following documents:

  • An unexpired passport valid least six months into the future
  • An unexpired F-1 entry visa*
  • An unexpired UO Form I-20 with a travel signature no more than one year old on the date of your return
  • Recommended:
    • Evidence of full-time enrollment such as a copy of your transcript or class registration
    • copy of your I-901 SEVIS fee payment
    • financial documents such as bank statements or scholarship letters

*Canadian citizens are not required to have a visa to enter the US, but must present all of the other documents listed above to request F-1 student status when entering the US.

In order to request a travel signature, bring your I-20 to the Office of International Affairs during drop-in advising hours for endorsement by an international student advisor. Travel signatures are valid for up to one year or until you stop studying or your I-20 expires, whichever comes first.

Travel to and from Mexico, Canada & Adjacent US Islands

F-1 students may travel to Canada, Mexico, and Adjacent US Islands and re-enter the US on an expired F-1 visa if the trip does not exceed 30 days and the purpose of the trip is not to apply for a new F-1 visa at one of the US consulates located in these countries. This is referred to as an automatic visa revalidation. In order to benefit from automatic visa revalidation, you must carry the documents indicated above as well as your I-94 admission record. Speak to an international student advisor to learn more about automatic visa revalidation.

A visitor's visa may be required to enter Mexico, Canada & Adjacent Islands, depending on your country of citizenship. If you are planning a trip to Canada or Mexico, you should contact a consulate from one of those countries to determine whether a visa is required prior to your trip. Please plan ahead as it may take some time to obtain a visitor visa to one of these countries.

Getting a new F-1 Visa

If your F-1 visa has expired or will expire in the near future, you should plan to apply for a new visa on your next trip abroad. While you are in the US, your F-1 visa expiration does not affect your status. However, when you return to the US from an overseas trip, you will need a new F-1 visa. Please review the web site of the US consulate in your home country or country of destination for information about how to apply for a new F-1 visa. In most cases, it is recommended that you apply for a new visa in your country of citizenship or legal residence.​

Last-Minute Travel Issues for F-1 Students

If you are a continuing F-1 student traveling outside the US, and notice that your travel documents are missing, lost, or outdated, please refer these emergency travel instructions for further guidance about how to return to the US.

Travel within the US

While traveling inside the United States outside of Oregon or your local area, you are strongly recommended to carry original identity documents (passport, I-20, and I-94 admission record), even if you do not have to go through immigration inspection for domestic travel. It is also recommended that you carry a copy of your passport, I-20 and I-94 record with you at all times, even while in the local area.

Immigration Resources