90-Day Unemployment Rule
Once you receive your EAD card and your OPT starts, you are given a maximum of 90 days of unemployment, during which you are allowed to have no job, internship, or other training activity. It is up to you to keep track of your unemployment period. To stop the unemployment clock, report your OPT employment (see below). If you fail to report your OPT employment within 90 days, USCIS may automatically terminate your record, which will end your legal presence in the U.S. and forfeit your remaining OPT time.
OPT Update Form
You are required to report your first job/internship to ISSS within 90 days of your OPT start date. In addition, any change of job/internship or change of address must also be reported to ISSS within 10 days.
To report OPT employment, address and contact information and any changes, submit the OPT Update Form below through iConnect international student portal. After you log in with your DuckID, the OPT Update Form can be found under F-1 Student Services.
STEM OPT Update Form
If you are on STEM OPT, please submit the STEM OPT Update Form below to update your current contact information or other information related to your current STEM OPT employment. Do NOT submit the STEM OPT Update Form if you are adding or changing employers. Refer to the instructions below to add or change employment.
Add or Change STEM OPT Employer
To add or change your STEM OPT employer, complete the STEM OPT EMPLOYMENT UPDATE FORM and email it to email@example.com. You will be required to provide a new I-983 Training Plan for the new STEM employer, and a Final Evaluation for the current STEM employer, if changing employers.
International Travel While on OPT
In general, F-1 students on OPT and STEM OPT should travel with the following documents:
- Passport valid at least 6 months into the future
- Valid F-1 student visa (except for Canadian citizens)
- OPT I-20 showing your OPT has been “approved”
- Travel signature on OPT I-20 no older than 6 months
- EAD card (or I-797 Receipt Notice while waiting for OPT application to be processed)
- Proof of employment
Email ISSS at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need an updated I-20 showing OPT approved and/or I-20 with travel signature. Please allow up to one week for mailing through regular U.S. mail service. If you need an I-20 quickly, you can pre-pay for express mail through eShip Global’s University Express Mail Service:
- Go to https://study.eshipglobal.com/register/ and complete the free Registration form.
- Click on “Receive Documents”
- Search for “University of Oregon” under University Search, then select “University of Oregon” and click “Continue"
- Select “Office of International Affairs” and click “Continue”
- Complete Step 1: Shipment Creation and click “Continue"
- Complete Step 2: Carrier Selection.
- Complete Step 3: Payment Confirmation