Please refer to the specific U.S. Embassy website that your family will be going to for their interview.
Consular officials from the U.S. Department of State have stated that an invitation letter from the school is not required to process a visa application.
The following suggestions are meant as ADVICE only. We cannot guarantee how U.S. consulates will approach each individual situation.
- A letter from you to your invitee, in English, inviting him/her for a visit
- Evidence of your valid student status
- Copies of your transcript and/or current enrollment. Go to Enrollment Verification for further instructions.
- A photocopy of your I-20 or DS-2019, passport, visa and I-94 card
- Evidence of your ability to financially support your visitor during their stay (for example, evidence of on campus employment or a bank statement). This evidence is needed only if your visitor does not have the funds to support himself or herself during the visit to the U.S.
Suggested Invitation Letter Format
This letter should be sent to the person who will be applying for the visa, and that person should present it to the U.S. consulate along with the application for the visitor (B-2) visa.
United States Embassy or Consul General
(Address of Foreign Consulate Where Person Will Apply for the Visa – check online)
Dear Honorable Consul:
My name is (Last Name), (First Name) and I reside at (Your U.S. Address). I am a student at the University of Oregon majoring in (Major). I am requesting that a visitor (B-2) visa be issued to (Person you want to invite), in order to allow (her/him) to visit me in the United States. (She/He) is my (Explain your relationship to the person) and will be visiting me from (arrival date) to (departure date). (Explain why you want the person to visit).
During (her/his) stay in the United States, (she/he) will stay with me at my residence at the address stated below. I will be responsible for all of (her/his) room and board expenses while (she/he) is in the United States. Upon the termination of (her/his) visit, (she/he) will return to (Country).
Your kind consideration of this request will be greatly appreciated.
Very truly yours,