International News, Updates, and FAQs



International News, Updates, and FAQs



As changes to immigration policy, visa processing, and travel restrictions continue to develop, UO acknowledges how particularly stressful the current environment of uncertainty must feel for our highly-valued international students, scholars, faculty, and staff. We know that the current state of immigration policy and ever-changing procedures related to COVID-19 are causing confusion, concern, and questions. Please know that we want you here as part of our community, and the Division of Global Engagement is here to do everything possible to help you overcome every obstacle to your academic success and have full membership in our community. The most current updates are as follows:

  • Looking for an international event? Visit our new Events webpage to see all events sponsored by our office. You can also find events during fall term through the UO Events Calendar.
  • DHS Proposed Rule Change: On September 25, 2020, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced a proposed rule change to F and J (student and exchange visitor) students, moving from unlimited duration of admission to the U.S., to a fixed duration of admission for students on F and J visas. Current F and J students in the U.S. will not be impacted under the proposed rule which will only apply to F and J students entering the U.S. after the effective date of the proposed rule. Learn more.
  • Fall term update: UO will shift to primarily remote and online instruction for Fall 2020. For new international students, including new graduate students, you must enroll in at least one in-person course in order to obtain your visa and enter the U.S. We suggest “Success in Online Learning,” offered as UGST 399 or GRST 610. Both the in-person and remote versions of the course will still be free to students. For more information about fall term, please read the messages from President Michael Schill, the Provost and Senior Vice President, Patrick Phillips, and Dean and Vice Provost of the Division of Global Engagement, Dennis Galvan.
  • Federal update: The Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Student Exchange Visitor Program) policy was rescinded on July 24. Read the clarification for the most current rules for F-1 international student visa holders. Please note that if you are a new student who seeks to enter the U.S., then in order to get a visa and use it to enter the U.S., you must enroll in at least one in-person class. UO intends to have some in-person classes in fall 2020. Learn more.
  • Options for students located outside of the U.S. in fall term: We at the Division of Global Engagement are here to support you—with or without a visa. If you will be located outside of the U.S. for fall term, explore all of your #NoVisaNeeded enrollment solutions and submit this form to let us know which options interest you most.
  • Are you traveling from the Schengen Area, United Kingdom, or Ireland? You may qualify for a National Interest Exception. Students traveling from the Schengen Area, the UK, and Ireland with valid F-1 visas, do not need to seek a national interest exception to travel. Students from those areas who are traveling on a J-1 visa may contact the nearest embassy or consulate to initiate an exception request.
  • Visa update: U.S. embassies and consulates are beginning the phased resumption of routine visa services. The dates for each embassy or consulate will depend on local conditions. We are unable to provide details for each location. Please monitor the embassy or consulate website for updates. For more information, read the announcement from the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs.
  • The White House issued a proclamation on June 22 that temporarily suspends the issuance of new H-1B visa stickers and some J visa stickers until December 31, 2020. A valid visa sticker, which is issued by the Department of State at a U.S. consulate, is required for nearly all foreign nationals to be able to lawfully enter the U.S. This order does not apply to anyone who is a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. or who is the spouse or child of a U.S. citizen. Faculty and scholars are encouraged to visit the H1B webpage for more information.
  • DGE Response to Executive Order on New Chinese Graduate Students and Researchers. Here is what we now know and where we stand.
  • Travelers Prohibited from Entry to the U.S. (U.S. Centers for Disease Control): Several Presidential proclamations established restrictions on the entry of certain travelers into the United States in an effort to help slow the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
  • Returning from International Travel (U.S. Centers for Disease Control): If you have traveled internationally in the past 14 days, stay home and monitor your health.
  • Restricted Travel to Canada and Mexico (U.S. Department of Homeland Security): In order to limit the further spread of coronavirus, the U.S. has reached agreements with both Canada and Mexico to limit all non-essential travel across borders.

Last updated on October 9, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. PDT

Speak with an Advisor

Phone: 541-346-3206

Call and provide your phone number to our front desk staff. An ISSS advisor will call you back.


Scholars, Faculty or Staff:

Send questions, and we will respond to your email as quickly as possible.

Microsoft Teams Chat

Visit and login with your DuckID to begin a remote session. All UO students have a Microsoft Teams account associated with their DuckID.

Additional Resources

ISSS Newsletters:

Biweekly newsletters to UO students…

Websites for Up-to-Date Information about U.S. Visas and Travel:

International Student Fall 2020 Considerations

U.S. Department of State
COVID-19 Country Specific Information:…

White House 
Presidential Actions:

Centers for Disease Control 
Travel/COVID-19 Page:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
News Alerts:

NAFSA: Association of International Educators Pages
Coronavirus Critical Resources:…
Tracking COVID-19 Restrictions on US Visas and Entry:…

Immigration Resources
U.S. Consulates Worldwide:
Getting to the United States:

Counseling Assistance for the UO Campus Community:

UO Counseling Center Services for Students: Call the Counseling Center at 541-346-3227 to discuss your options for mental health support. They will have the next available counselor return your call to discuss your options and to answer your questions.

UO Employee Assistance Program: Cascade Centers, Inc. provides comprehensive employee assistance at no cost for eligible employees, their dependents, and eligible household members. Call Cascade directly at 1-800-433-2320 to schedule an appointment.