On-Campus Employment

On-Campus Employment

International students are eligible to work on-campus on a part-time basis up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and up to 40 hours per week during vacation periods. For current listings of on-campus jobs, go to https://career.uoregon.edu/jobs-and-internships. To enhance your eligibility for on-campus jobs, apply for an international work-study award here: https://isss.uoregon.edu/intl-work-study-award

F-1 international students who have maintained full-time status are eligible to work on campus as early as their first term of study at the UO. On-campus employment must either be performed on the school premises (including on-location commercial firms which provide direct student services, such as the school bookstore), or off-campus locations which are educationally affiliated with the school. Off-campus locations require the prior, written authorization of an international student advisor.

How many hours per week can you work on-campus?
On-campus employment for F-1 international students is limited to 20 hours a week (part-time) while school is in session and 40 hours a week (full-time) during school breaks or during the student’s annual vacation term*. In general, students are permitted an annual vacation term after three consecutive terms of full-time study, and must intend to continue full-time study following the vacation term. Students who are uncertain about vacation term eligibility should contact ISSS to speak to an international student advisor.

* Graduate Employees (TA, RA) cannot work full-time during school breaks. In addition, GE's are restricted to the .49 FTE limit during summer term, unless they have approval from the Division of Graduate Studies (DGS). For details, go to https://graduatestudies.uoregon.edu/academics/policies/ge/exceptions-49-fte-limit-during-summer-term

What do you need to start working on-campus?
International students will need to secure an on-campus job and submit a signed Social Security Verification form to ISSS in order to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) at the local Social Security Administration (SSA) office. Students who already have a valid Social Security Number are not required to re-apply for a SSN. Students should work with their on-campus employer to complete other UO payroll 

Is on-campus employment permitted after completing degree requirements?
F-1 students are permitted to work on-campus only while completing degree requirements. Once degree requirements have been completed, on-campus employment is not permitted. Students should talk to ISSS about post-completion employment options. In addition, on-campus employment past a student’s I-20 program end date is not permitted. 

Need help finding an on-campus job?
Please visit the UO Career Center for guidance and resources. Speak to an International Student Advisor or participate in an employment workshop.

F-1 students (or UO department hiring managers) with questions about international student on-campus employment eligibility can contact ISSS at intl@uoregon.edu or by calling 541-346-3206.