Academic Training

Academic Training is training related to your field of study. It can be a job, internship, research position, cooperative education position, or other opportunity to obtain experience related to your field of study. If the position is off campus, you must *always* apply for academic training authorization, whether you are a current student or graduating soon. If the position is on campus, you could apply for academic training authorization to extend your J-1 status to accommodate research or another learning activity related to your studies.

  • You must request Academic Training authorization from ISSS before starting your internship or job.
  • The training may be paid or unpaid.
  • You can apply for Academic Training authorization either during your studies or for a training position that will begin no later than 30 days after completion of studies. If you apply for Academic Training for a position to begin after your studies, you must still submit your application before your current DS-2019 expires.
  • Employment for Academic Training has an overall limit of 18 months, which includes training both before and after completion of studies. However, the total training period may not exceed the amount of time spent in the full course of study. •    For postdoctoral training, the overall limit is 36 months.
  • All Academic Training is counted as full-time, even if employment is on a part-time basis.

How to Apply for Academic Training Authorization

Step 1: Find an Academic Training opportunity.

This could be a job, internship, cooperative education position, volunteer position, etc. It must be closely related to your studies at UO.

Use campus resources like the Career Center, or your academic department to find opportunities. The training position must start either during your studies or no later than 30 days after you complete your studies.

Step 2: Contact your academic adviser or exchange coordinator.

Students in a UO degree program: contact your academic department advisor. Exchange students: contact Paolo Daniele, Exchange and Sponsored Coordinator, International Student & Scholar Services.

Your academic advisor or exchange coordinator will need to evaluate the training opportunity to confirm it relates to your field of study and provides a valuable academic experience.

Provide the following to your academic advisor or exchange coordinator (email would be easiest; the Academic Training Request Form is a fillable pdf):

  1. A copy of your job/internship offer
  2. Academic Training Request Form
  3. The information listed below; in the “Advisor Section” of the Academic Training Request Form, your academic advisor must provide the following information:
    • Stated goals and objectives of the training program
    • Name of employer
    • Address (job location) of the employer
    • Name of the training supervisor
    • Start and end dates of the training
    • Number of hours per week
    • Description of how the training relates to your major field of study
    • Explanation of why the training is an integral or critical part of your Exchange Visitor program

Step 3. Submit the following documents to ISSS

  1. Copy of your job/internship offer (letter or email)
  2. Completed Academic Training Request Form (printed and signed by your academic advisor or exchange coordinator)
  3. If your Academic Training end date will extend beyond your graduation or exchange program end date, your DS-2019 will be extended. You must also submit:
    • Funding documentation to show ability to pay for living expenses during Academic Training period
    • J-1 Insurance Requirement Statement of Compliance

Your ISSS advisor will review your application and, if approved, will issue a new DS-2019 notated with your Academic Training authorization. Allow 7-10 business days for ISSS processing.

Other Considerations

  • Social Security Number
    • Visit the Office of International Affairs for information on obtaining a Social Security Card.
  • Taxes
    • Income earned by J-1 visa holders is subject to applicable federal, state and local income taxes unless exempt by virtue of a tax treaty. Employers are required by law to withhold those taxes from paychecks.
  • Rights and Protections
    • If you encounter any problems at your workplace, know that you have rights and can get help. The website below informs you of your rights as a nonimmigrant visa holder in certain employment- and education-based categories. The U.S. government created this pamphlet at the prompting of the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (Public Law 110-457), which reaffirms and strengthens the U.S. government’s commitment to fight human trafficking and labor abuses. Visit the U.S Department of State's Rights and Protections page for details in your own language.