Lost Passport/Visa


Passports, Visas, and Arrival/Departure Records (Form I-94) are official travel documents that international students coming to the United States (U.S.) must have in their possession to show their country of citizenship and legal status in the United States.
If you lose your passport and U.S. visa, you may remain in the U.S. for the duration of your authorized stay, as shown on Form I-94. If you have any questions about your status, please visit the Division of Global Engagement, Oregon Hall, 3rd Floor. Phone: 541-346-3206. Email: intl@uoregon.edu.
If you lose your passport, visa and/or Form I-94, there are a number of steps you need to take as follows.

Report Lost/Stolen to Your Embassy

Contact the local embassy or consular section for the country of your citizenship for information about the procedure to replace a lost or stolen passport. Most countries have Internet web sites with contact information. List of Foreign Embassies/Consular Offices.

Request Replacement of a Lost/Stolen Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94)

Replacement of a lost or stolen Form I-94 falls under the responsibility of Department of Homeland Security (DHS). To retrieve Form I-94, go to http://cbp.gov/i94

Report your Visa Lost/Stolen to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate Abroad

To report your visa lost or stolen, email the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the United States which issued your visa. Go to https://www.usembassy.gov/  to locate the email address and contact information. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, place of birth, address in the United States, and an e-mail address. Specifically state whether the visa was lost or stolen. If you have a copy of the passport or visa, scan and email this to the U.S. embassy or consulate. Otherwise, if known, report the category of visa, and the passport number from the lost/stolen visa.
If you have already reported your visa lost/stolen to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and then you later find your misplaced visa, then your visa will be invalid for future travel to the United States.  Therefore, in that situation you must apply for a new visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Applying for a Replacement U.S. Visa

Lost or stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced in the United States. For replacement of a visa, you must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. When applying for the replacement of a visa, you will need to provide a written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa. Include a copy of the police report.