F-1 Degree-Seeking Students

Contact Person: Becky Megerssa,
SEVIS Coordinator/Designated School Official
Email: SEVIS@uoregon.edu 
Phone: 1-541-346-1436


I-20 "Certificate of Eligibility"

The I-20 is used to apply for an F-1 student visa. If your plans change and you do not plan to attend the University of Oregon, email the Office of Admissions at uoglobal@uoregon.edu.

Review your I-20 for accuracy, sign and date.

Your name and birthdate should match your passport. If corrections are necessary, email a copy of your passport to Becky at sevis@uoregon.edu.

  • The Program State Date coincides with International Student Orientation on the UO Eugene campus. You must enter by the program start date. If your arrival is delayed, please email Becky at sevis@uoregon.edu for instructions.
  • The Program End Date is an estimate and may not reflect the actual completion date of your degree program.
  • The Estimated Average Costs are based on non-resident tuition and fees, and estimated living and school expenses. Actual costs may be higher or lower depending on specific program costs and individual needs. For cost details, go to Financial Aid.

I-20 Questions


I-901 SEVIS Fee

The I-901 SEVIS Fee ($350) is a required payment to the US government based on your I-20 SEVIS ID number. You are required to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee before you apply for your F-1 visa or enter the US.

Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee at FMJfee.com.

Print payment confirmation and keep it with your I-20.

  • For graduate students hired as Graduate Employees (GE): International students hired as GEs may request reimbursement of the I-901 SEVIS Fee from the Graduate School. For reimbursement instructions go to SEVIS Fee Reimbursement for International GEs.

Pay your I-901 SEVIS Fee


F-1 Student Visa

Apply for your F-1 visa

Schedule a visa appointment at the nearest US embassy or consulate using the I-20 SEVIS ID number which begins with "N00..." You can apply for your visa up to 120 days before the program start date on your I-20. For more information about the visa process, go to the Study in the States website.

  • For Canadian Citizens: You are not required to apply for an F-1 visa. You can enter the US with a valid passport, your I-20 and I-901 Fee payment confirmation.

Getting a Visa


Entering the US 

You may only enter the US up to 30 days before the program start date on your I-20; not earlier! Arrival to the US should be a smooth experience if you have everything prepared in advance. Information on what to expect when entering the US can be found at Study in the States.


Getting to the US


Pre-Arrival Checklist

Complete the Pre-Arrival Checklist. This checklist is mandatory for all students.

Pre-Arrival Checklist


Oregon Driver's License

If you apply for an Oregon driver's license and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) cannot verify your immigration status, please visit the Office of International Affairs, 3rd floor Oregon Hall, for assistance.

Oregon DMV


Social Security Number

If you will be working on-campus before the term begins and need to apply for a social security number, please visit the Office of International Affairs, 3rd floor Oregon Hall, for assistance.

Social Security Number Information