Bringing dependents with you to the US

Your spouse or unmarried child(ren) under age 21 may accompany you in F-2 or J-2 dependent status while you pursue a program of study or research in the US Spouses in F-2 status are not permitted to work or study, with the exception of avocational or recreational classes. Children in F-2 status may only engage in full time study for primary or secondary school (grades K-12).

To add one or more dependents to your immigration record (I-20 or DS-2019) please e-mail the SEVIS Coordinator, International Student & Scholar Services at To enroll your children in local public schools, you will need to bring the following documents with you:

Proof of your children's birth dates. An official birth certificate, a signed hospital certificate, or a valid passport.
Proof of a physical examination for children entering school for the first time.
Official copies of the children's previous school records.
All immunization records with names of vaccines and dates received. Required immunizations for all school-aged children are diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, and polio. In addition, children must be screened for active tuberculosis infection.

F-2 spouses and/or children are not allowed to work in the US J-2 spouses and/or children are eligible to apply to the USCIS for employment authorization as long as the employment is not for the purpose of financially supporting the J-1 visitor.

"Income from the spouse's or dependent's employment may be used to support the family's customary recreational and cultural activities and related travel, among other things. Employment will not be authorized if this income is needed to support the J-1 principal alien." (8 CFR 214.2 (j) (1) (v) (QA)

The Eugene School District 4J: Features 27 primary schools, 13 middle school, 8 high schools, and 3 charter schools. There are also language immersion schools in Spanish, Japanese, and French.

Springfield School District: Features 16 primary schools, 7 middle schools, 2 high schools, and 3 alternative schools.

UO Campus Resources for Families

Outdoor Program
Family Recreation Program
Health Center
Parking and Transportation
Resources for Student Parents

UO Childcare Resources

Moss Street Children's Center
Vivian Olum Child Development Center
Co-op Family Center at Spencer View Family Housing