DS-2019 “Certificate of Eligibility”
The DS-2019 is used to apply for a J-1 exchange visitor visa for degree-seeking students with government funding or other eligible funding allowed under the Department of State Exchange Visitor Program.
If your plans change and you do not plan to attend the University of Oregon, send an email to Becky at email@example.com so she can cancel your DS-2019 record and notify the office of Admissions.
Review your DS-2019 for accuracy, sign and date. Your name and birthdate should match your passport. If corrections are necessary, email a copy of your passport to Becky at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Program Start Date uses the earliest International Student Orientation start date. You must enter the U.S. by this date. If your arrival is delayed, please email Becky at email@example.com for advice.
- The Program End Date is an estimate and may not reflect the actual completion date of your degree program.
- The Estimated Average Costs are based on nonresident tuition & fees, and estimated living and school expenses. Actual costs may be higher or lower depending on specific program costs and individual needs. For cost details, go to https://financialaid.uoregon.edu/cost_of_attendance.
The I-901 Fee ($180) is a required payment to the U.S. government based on your DS-2019 SEVIS ID number. You are required to pay the I-901 Fee before you apply for your J-1 visa.
Pay the I-901 Fee at FMJfee.com. Print payment confirmation and keep it with your DS-2019.
- For Graduate students hired as Graduate Employees (GE): International students hired as GEs may request reimbursement of the I-901 Fee from the Graduate School. For reimbursement instructions go to http://gradschool.uoregon.edu/SEVIS-fee-reimbursement.
J-1 Student Visa
Apply for your J-1 visa. Schedule a visa appointment at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate using the DS-2019 SEVIS ID number which begins with “N00...” You can apply for your visa up to 120 days before the program start date on your DS-2019. For more information about the visa application process, go to https://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/interviews-documents/.
- Entering the U.S. You may only enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the program start date on your DS-2019; not earlier! Arrival in the U.S. should be a smooth experience if you have everything prepared in advance. General information on what to expect when entering the U.S. can be found at studyinthestates.dhs.gov/getting-to-the-united-states.
- For Canadian students: You are not required to apply for a J-1 visa. You can enter the U.S. with a valid passport, your DS-2019 and I-901 Fee payment confirmation.
Complete the Pre-Arrival Checklist at http://isss.uoregon.edu/pre-arrival. This checklist is mandatory for all students.
Oregon Driver’s License
Upon arrival, the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles cannot provide benefits to you prior to registering for classes. If you need to apply for a driver’s license before registering for classes, please visit the Office of International Affairs, Oregon Hall 3rd floor, for assistance.
Social Security Number
Upon arrival, the Social Security Administration cannot provide benefits to you prior to registering for classes. If you will be working on-campus and need to apply for a social security number before registering for classes, please visit the Office of International Affairs, Oregon Hall 3rd floor, for assistance.