Social Security Numbers for H-1B Employees
Any UO employee in H-1B status who does not already have a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) should arrange to apply for an SSN following arrival in Eugene. SSNs are required of all persons engaged in authorized employment in the United States.
Where to Apply:
Hours: 9 a.m.—3 p.m. (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday); 9 a.m.—noon (Wednesday); closed on Saturdays and Sundays and national holidays
(Take the #67 bus from the Eugene Bus Station. The SSA office is located next to Albertson's supermarket.)
What to Take:
- Your valid and unexpired passport
- Your I-797 Approval Notice showing that you have been granted authorization to work at the University of Oregon
- Your I-94 card or admission number
When to Apply:
The Social Security Administration recommends that applicants wait at least ten days following arrival in the United States before applying for a SSN. The waiting period is to accommodate updates of immigration and port of entry arrival information to SSA's SAVE verification system.
Who Can Apply:
Only H-1B employees are permitted to apply for SSNs. H-4 dependents are not eligible to apply for SSNs but may apply for Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) instead. For ITIN application information, go to the Internal Revenue Service web site or click here.
- Take the documents listed above to the SSA Office and submit a completed Application Form SS-5
- Important: Upon submitting an application, please ask for a receipt to document that you have applied for a SSN; provide a copy of the receipt to your department business manager
- There is no cost for the application
- A Social Security card will be mailed to the mailing address indicated on Form SS-5 within approximatley four to eight weeks after the application has been accepted
- Please contact International Student and Scholar Services in the event that SSA informs you that your immigration information cannot be verified through SAVE
- For more information, e-mail an international scholar advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 541-346-3206 for an appointment.